Thursday, January 31, 2008

Reading Plan: February 2008

Here are the books I plan to work through this new month:

Everyone at Dallas Seminary (my Alma-Mater) knows who you talk to when you want to talk church planting: Aubrey Malphurs. Unfortunately, I never took Dr. Malphurs' classes because I wasn't thinking church planting while I was in seminary. But this book, I'm told (#2 recommended to me by Ed Stetzer), will give me the next-best thing to having Dr. Malphurs as my prof.


No, I've never read The Ragamuffin Gospel. No, I've never read anything else by Brennan Manning. But this month I'm planning to read his book, The Signature of Jesus. This book was given to me by a friend well over a year ago, so it is another one that has been on my reading list for some time. If all goes well, perhaps I'll be reading Ragamuffin next!


I really enjoyed the business book I read last month, so I thought I would try another one. Good to Great is well-known, and I own the accompanying monograph dealing with the social sector, so I want to work my way though it as well. I heard Jim Collins share at Willow's Leadership Conference in 2006, and he was interesting. I'm hoping to glean some useful insights from his book as well.


Shouldn't all married people read something on marriage in February? With Valentine's Day approaching, I've asked my wife to read this one along with me. It is a new book, and the blogosphere gave it a lot of positive recommendations when it came out last year. So I've purchased this book and am looking forward to reading it. My wife needs all the help she can get being married to this sinner!


Alfred Lansing's book Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, is my leisure read for February. I have inherited this book, and in one of the books I read last month it was mentioned as a must-read. It sounds exciting enough: a mission in 1914 to cross the Antarctic overland that goes terribly wrong. With the snow coming down outside today here in Oklahoma City, I'm feeling the chill of the story already!

No comments: