Friday, February 29, 2008

Reading Plan: March 2008

The first two months of 2008 are now behind us, and I am grateful that I have been doing relatively well with my reading plan. Here is my plan for the new month, Lord willing:

When I met Ed Stetzer last November he recommended three books to me dealing specifically with church planting. The first two I have now read, so this one, Community of Kindness, finishes up that recommended reading list. Having just given a negative review of the previous recommended book, I'm looking forward to diving into this one since the subtitle speaks of what I'm looking for in this topic: A Refreshing New Approach to Planting and Growing a Church.

This month I return to doing a reading from a "dead guy." St. Augustine's Confessions may be the oldest book (next to the Bible) I've ever read through. Again I will be doing this reading on the computer via my Libronix Digital Library System. There is a wealth of material there (now over 1,000 books in my e-library) that I just cannot allow to remain there unread.

I admit, I am less than enthusiastic about reading this book. But I have enjoyed my two business reads this year and so I decided to go through this one since it is sitting there on my bookshelf. I have to ask myself if I am wasting my time reading this when I could be reading something else on my reading list. But I'm hoping that it will do me some good to read something about our country in this election year, particularly since I sense my patriotism is beginning to wane in light of my frustration with politics.

My wife and I made a decision to make it an annual practice to see a marriage counselor to invest in and work on our marriage. We are really privileged to have a Christian marriage therapist living 5 minutes from us who wrote this book! While the book is written for those in "troubled marriages," Dr. Talley wants us to read through it nonetheless. I'm going to do as my counselor says!

The fifth read for the month is my continuation through Alfred Lansing's book Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage. I did not get through it last month, so it is part of this month's reading list as well.

No comments: