Saturday, January 03, 2009

Don't Even Think About It

If the cashier inadvertently gives you a dollar too much in change, don't even think about keeping it. Give it back.

If you get a rebate check in the mail for $250 when you were only supposed to get $50, don't even think about keeping it. And don't try to be spiritual and give some (or all) of it away to charity. The money does not belong to you. Give it back.

The first situation has happened to me a handful of times. This second situation just happened to me this week. I am amazed at how tempting it is to keep the money. I immediately thought of many different "good" ways to use the money.

But I did the "right" thing and called the company and reported the mistake. I felt really good about myself. Well, I did until the company told me they would immediately stop payment on the check! I guess I thought maybe I would get rewarded for my honesty. Maybe they would tell me to keep the check, you know, kind of like the "Community Chest" card in the game Monopoly that reads, "Bank Error in Your Favor, Collect $100." Instead, the company took their money back! Imagine that! I did get a brief thanks-for-your-honesty comment, but then it was over. I even have to wait another couple of weeks to get the correct rebate amount I am owed. For some reason I didn't feel so good after the phone call.

Just shows how tempting money can be.

No comments: