Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Songs I Hate

Yes, the title of this post is rather strong. I admit, I'm hoping to grab your attention. But there are some songs that are sung in Christian circles that absolutely drive me nuts! Here is one I heard in a church I visited recently:

Na na na na na na na na na na na (x2)

Every move I make I make in You
You make me move Jesus
Every breath I take I breathe in You

Every step I take I take in You
You are my way Jesus
Every breath I take I breathe in You

Waves of mercy, waves of grace
Everywhere I look I see Your face
Your love has captured me
Oh my God, this love
How can it be?

na na na na
na na na na na na
na na na na na na
na na na na

Someone please tell me: what does this song mean? How does one "make a move" IN Jesus?

How I long for songs that have substance. IMO, this one does not.

What are the "Christian songs" that get under your skin?

3 comments:

XLT said...

well, the one you listed is surely not one of my favorites... but it's because of that nanananananananananananananananananananananananana part at either end...

the part about "making a move in Jesus" sounds like a bit imprecise way of describing being filled with the Spirit.... kind of the antithesis of the effects of drunkenness maybe...

I get pretty irritated at some praise songs as well, but a lot of times, it's because the worship leader misinterprets the song

One I remember that used to happen a lot in New Braunfels... "So, remember your people, Remember you children, Remember your promise, oh God..."

Without fail, every time that chorus was sung, the worship leader would get up and pray "Lord, we know this song is wrong...you never forget your promises..."

1. If you think it's wrong...why are we singing it?
2. Have you even considered the biblical nature of "remember" as it pertains to God particularly?

Anyway, probably doesn't fit exactly with the request...but I got to vent :).


Josh

Anonymous said...

I don't like any emasculated worship songs, like that "this is the air I breathe... this is the air I breathe".

Sam said...

Any "Jesus is my girlfriend/boyfriend" songs; they just drive me nuts. Many of my Christian friends listen exclusively to CCM on the radio while I hardly ever do, and they wonder why. I just ask them: have you ever LISTENED to CCM? Good post